If you are one of the many people that suffer from chronic bronchitis, natural cures can help with many of the symptoms.
What Is Chronic Bronchitis?
While bronchitis is usually caused by an infection, chronic bronchitis is often the symptom of a more serious lung condition. Bronchitis is the inflammation of the large airways in the lungs. These airways, or bronchi, become inflamed as a result of irritation and result in the production of mucus and persistent coughing.
If these symptoms are present three months to a year for a two-year period of time then the bronchitis condition is considered chronic.
Some of the easiest ways to combat chronic bronchitis are dietary changes. Eating a healthy diet is an important step to overcoming the symptoms.
- One of the most important things that you can do is to stay away from all dairy products. Milk products have a substance in them that actually increases mucus and causes it to become thick and hard to expel from the body. Eliminating dairy from your diet will allow the natural remedies that you use to be more effective.
- Another dietary change that you can make is the addition of spicy foods. Cayenne pepper, picante sauce, and jalapeños help to thin mucus out and make it easier for the body to deal with it quickly and efficiently.
- Adding more fresh fruits and vegetables to your diet will increase the amounts of vitamins and antioxidants that you are getting. This will allow your body to begin to heal itself. Vitamin A is especially important for respiratory health.
When you have chronic bronchitis, natural cures work best in tandem with these important dietary changes.
There are numerous environmental factors that contribute to the instances of chronic bronchitis.
- Secondhand smoke
- Chemical sensitivities
It is important to identify things that seem to aggravate bronchitis and eliminate as many as possible.
Chronic Bronchitis Natural Cure Using Herbs
There are many herbs that help to strengthen and support the respiratory system. They are often used in combination rather than singularly.
One of the most effective combinations for any type of bronchitis is elecampane and pleurisy root. Elecampane is an anti-inflammatory that reduces the inflammation in the bronchi and helps with the coughing. Pleurisy root acts as an expectorant, loosening and thinning the mucus. Note that the Peterson Field Guide to Medicinal Plants and Herbs lists pleurisy root as potentially toxic when taken in large amounts. The Physician's Desktop Reference provides more information on pleurisy root and its side effects.
Other herbs that may also be added to herbal combinations for bronchitis are:
- Mullein: expectorant
- Horehound: expectorant and soothing
- Marshmallow: anti-inflammatory, cough reliever
- Slippery elm: anti-inflammatory
- Lobelia: relieves bronchial spasms
- Thyme: relieves bronchial spasms
- Garlic: antibacterial, helps other herbs work effectively
Homeopathic Cures for Chronic Bronchitis
Homeopathy is another natural option for the relief of chronic bronchitis. If you are not familiar with homeopathy it is best to try to find a practicing homeopath in your area. Choosing the proper remedy is not always easy and it is imperative to the success of the treatment.Some of the most used homeopathic remedies are:
- Antimonium should be given to the patient that feels congested and has labored breathing. There may be a rattling sound to the chest. Coughing takes much effort. Other symptoms could include dizziness, drowsiness, and lack of energy.
- Bryonia is useful when the cough is dry and painful with little mucus. Movement makes the cough worse. The patient may try to stay very still to avoid the pain of coughing. There will be spasms in the stomach, dryness of the mouth and unrelenting thirst. The patient may seem sullen and unwilling to talk.
- Silicea patients have had bronchitis for a prolonged time. It takes a lot of effort to bring up the phlegm. Mucus has a greenish or yellowish tint. Fever will be present during times that the bronchitis is the worst. Other symptoms that suggest the need for silicea are swollen lymph nodes, exhaustion, and pain in the back when coughing.
It is always important to check with your health care provider before using herbs especially if you are taking any prescription medications. The symptoms of chronic bronchitis can be relieved naturally. Individuals must be willing to experiment and be patient while they find what works best.