A homeopathic treatment for tinnitus can help you eliminate that annoying buzzing or ringing in your ears without taking synthetic drugs. Read on to learn about the causes of tinnitus and how you can treat this problem naturally.
Causes of Tinnitus
The most common cause of tinnitus is prolonged exposure to loud noise. Many people experience temporary buzzing in the ears after attending a loud concert, but the annoying buzzing eventually diminishes, usually by the next day. Tinnitus sufferers experience sporadic or ongoing noise in their ears. The majority of people who have tinnitus have suffered some hearing loss.
Other causes of tinnitus include:
- Blockages in the ear caused by earwax buildup
- Tumor on the auditory nerve
- Drug related - the most common drugs causing temporary tinnitus are quinine, aspirin and antibiotics
- High blood pressure
- TMJ Syndrome - temporomandibular joint soreness in the jaw
- Perforated eardrum
Symptoms of Tinnitus
Tinnitus is often described as a ringing, buzzing, chirping or whistling noise in the ears. It can last for minutes, hours, days or even longer. In most people it occurs as a low background noise that is annoying. In others, it seems loudest at night when it is quiet. Some people report that it occurs as a low droning or humming noise that never seems to stop. In rare cases, it may even be a buzzing noise that is in sync with a person's heartbeat. For people with severe cases, it can disrupt their lives, causing trouble with concentration, insomnia and psychological distress. When the condition is interfering with your quality of life, it is time to seek treatment.
Homeopathic Treatment for Tinnitus
The homeopathic treatment for tinnitus varies with the additional symptoms people feel along with the noise in their ears. The following are some of the many suggested homeopathic treatments for conditions associated with tinnitus:
- Calcarea carbonica - to be used when tinnitus is accompanied by vertigo, chills, fatigue, anxiety, and indidivudals have a craving for sweets.
- China - used when a person has experienced blood loss due to surgery, fluid loss due to vomiting or diarrhea and heavy sweating.
- Cimicifuga - used for people who are sensitive to noise and have muscle tension in the neck and back. The individual may also have frequent headaches or menstrual problems.
- Coffea cruda - for individuals with sensitive hearing and buzzing felt in the back of their head. The tinnitus is accompanied by insomnia
- Graphites - useful for people who have deafness accompanied by very loud hissing, clicking and loud popping noises. The individuals may also suffer from dry and cracking skin, problems concentrating and constipation.
- Kali carbonicum - for individuals with constant cracking noises or itchy ears. Vertigo and nervous stomach may also accompany the tinnitus.
- Lycopodium - individuals experience echoing sounds accompanied by ear infections, nervous stomach and urinary tract problems.
- Natrum salicylicum - for individuals nearing low humming sounds. Associated conditions include vertigo, flu, exhaustion and hearing loss.
- Salicylicum acidum - individuals hear loud roaring and ringing noises accompanied by temporary deafness and vertigo. Flu or Meniere's disease usually accompanies the tinnitus. This treatment is also useful for people whose tinnitus is caused by aspirin.
Be sure to follow the instructions exactly with the homeopathic remedy you are taking. A general rule of thumb is to take the least amount of a remedy that is needed to alleviate symptoms. If you are taking any prescription medications, be sure to discuss any homeopathic remedies you are taking with your doctor or pharmacist to avoid adverse drug interactions.
Where to Buy Homeopathic Remedies
There are many places to buy homeopathic remedies both locally and on the Internet. The following places sell homeopathic remedies to the public:
- Local herbal stores
- Local organic Co-operatives
- All Vitamins Plus
While homeopathic remedies work in most cases, occasionally intervention by a doctor is required. When a homeopathic remedy doesn't appear to be working after several days, get an exam by a physician. In some cases, tinnitus is caused by a deterioration of the bones in the ear (otosclerosis).