There are twenty different species of Candida yeasts according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC). Candida, or yeast, is a fungal infection and is common even in healthy people, but those with a compromised immune system and diabetes are more susceptible to infection. It occurs internally and externally and needs a warm moist environment to thrive. The good news is that homeopathy can help.
Epsom Salt and Vinegar Homeopathic Treatment for Yeast Skin Infection
This is a simple but effective treatment for skin yeast infections. You'll want to mix this at the time of application.
Supplies and Ingredients
- 1/2 cup Epsom salt
- 1 to 2 drops lavender essential oil (optional)
- Apple cider vinegar with mother (enough to make paste)
- Dry clean washcloth and towel
Epsom salt, apple cider vinegar with mother and lavender oil all have anti-fungal and anti-bacterial properties. You can add the lavender oil to also give the paste a pleasant aroma. Be sure to mix well since essential oils are strong and can cause irritation. Test for 10 minutes on a small area on skin before using.
- Cleanse infected area with an antimicrobial soap or cleanser. Rinse and pat dry with a clean towel.
- Add lavender essential oil and stir into the mixture to blend.
- Using your fingertips apply the paste to the infected area and allow to remain for 25-35 minutes.
- Wash mixture from skin with warm water, using the clean washcloth.
- Be sure you remove any remaining granulated Epsom salt.
- Use the towel to pat the area dry.
- You can repeat this treatment up to three times a day.
Virgin Coconut Oil Treatment With Lavender
Virgin coconut oil has anti-fungal properties. A lab study from the University College Hospital in Nigeria looked at the susceptibility of various yeast species to coconut oil versus fluconazole. Overall, the researchers found that yeast species were more susceptible to coconut oil concentrations from 100% (undiluted) to 25% (1:4 dilution) compared to concentrations of fluconazole.
Supplies and Ingredients
- 1 cup virgin coconut oil
- 3 to 4 drops lavender essential oil
- 8-ounce jar with lid
- 100% cotton swabs, balls or pads
- Bandage for infected area (optional)
Before applying the oil treatment, wash the infected area with an antimicrobial soap or cleanser. Rinse and pat dry with a clean towel.
- Pour coconut oil into jar and add lavender essential oil.
- Screw on lid.
- Shake contents in jar vigorously until thoroughly blended.
- Dab cotton swab, ball or pad into oil mixture.
- Apply liberally onto infect area.
- You can apply a bandage to protect clothing from the oil and ensure the oil is wiped off skin.
- Repeat three times a day.
Witch Hazel and Apple Cider Vinegar Yeast Skin Infection Treatment
You can create a very simple yeast skin infection treatment with a few simple ingredients. You can mix this remedy and store in a glass bottle or vial container with a cap/lid. Always check with your doctor or other healthcare practitioner before using any treatment.
- 8-ounce (or larger bottle), jar or vial container with a cap or lid
- 100% cotton swabs or balls
- Soap, facial cleanser or body wash
- Wash cloth
- 2/3 cup witch hazel
- 1/3 cup apple cider vinegar with mother
- 1/3 cup distilled water
- 1 drop lavender essential oil
You will want to use this treatment twice a day. Use it first thing in the morning and at night before retiring. If you have a severe infection, you can add a midday treatment. Store bottle, jar or vial with a lid in a cool dark place.
- Wash your face with your favorite facial cleanser or soap. If another is infected, you may opt for a body wash instead of soap.
- Pat dry with a clean towel.
- Moisten the cotton swab or cotton ball with the mixture.
- Apply on infected area by dabbing until the entire area is covered.
- Allow the infected skin area to dry thoroughly.
- If your skin becomes irritated, stop using immediately. Allergic reactions to witch hazel are rare. To ensure you aren't allergic, test in small area. Symptoms include, skin irritation, redness or itching.
Apple Cider Vinegar and Castor Oil Treatment
The most commonly used yeast infection is apple cider vinegar and castor oil. You will need a few simple tools and ingredients for this.
Supplies and Ingredients
- Apple cider vinegar with mother
- 100% cotton swabs or cotton balls
- Organic castor oil (hexane-free, due to health hazards of hexane)
You will need to continue this treatment for at least three days once your infection has cleared up to ensure it doesn't reoccur. Be sure to wash all fabrics that come in contact with your skin. You can apply this treatment up to three times a day.
- Wash infected skin area thoroughly with facial cleanser, soap or body wash.
- Using a cotton swab or cotton ball, moisten with apple cider vinegar with Mother.
- Apply apple cider vinegar to infected area.
- Allow area to dry.
- Moisten fresh cotton swab or cotton ball with castor oil and apply to area.
- https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSc4RGXw85GyGTTAsFZwIDvdNss4U8YkXYlWw8I3iFcII1pIUQ/viewformIf using a cold-pressed oil, be sure to keep refrigerated.
Organic Neem Leaf Powder or Oil
Neem products have been used for centuries to treat a wide range of disorders and diseases. A review article from Qassim University in Saudi Arabia verified claims of anti-bacterial and anti-fungal properties of neem, along with noted treatments of neem oil and neem leaf extracts. The Neem Oil Foundation list several aliments treated with neem oil, including skin infections and rashes.
Neem Tea From Powder
In Ayurveda medicine, neem is a popular choice for treating skin and hair. This blood purifier is also a detox remedy. The neem leaves are pulverized and used as a powder for teas and various remedies. You can make the powder into a tea and drink it to detoxify and arrest the candida in your body that cause yeast infections.
- ½ teaspoon of neem powder
- 8 ounces of boiling water
- Lemon juice, to taste (optional)
- 1 teaspoon honey (optional)
- Place neem powder in an 8 oz coffee cup/mug.
- Boil the water and pour into coffee cup/mug.
- Stir with a spoon to dissolve powder.
- Neem has a bitter taste, so you can cut it with lemon juice and a teaspoon of honey to make it more palatable.
Neem Powdered Skin Wash
You can also use neem powder to make a face or skin wash. Instead of drinking the tea, use it to wash your face or other infected areas of your body.
DIY Neem and Sweet Almond Oil Yeast Skin Treatment
You can make your own neem oil treatment by diluting cold-pressed neem oil (not essential oil) with sweet almond oil. Neem oil is very strong and powerful, so you should dilute it with a 1:1 ration.
- ½ cup of cold pressed neem oil
- ½ cup of cold pressed sweet almond oil
- 2 to 3 drops lavender, jasmine, lemon, or peppermint essential oils
- 8-ounce bottle with cap/lid or container with lid
- 100% cotton swabs or balls
You want to be sure you use cold pressed oils for this treatment. Cold pressed oils retain more nutrients and antioxidants that heat can damage or weaken.
- Combine the neem and almond oil. Neem has a fairly strong odor, so you can add 2 to 3 drops of your favorite essential oil, such as jasmine, lemon, or peppermint essential oils.
- Apply to infected skin area(s) by moistening the swab or ball with the mixed oil.
- Cold pressed oils need to be refrigerated to prevent the oils going rancid.
- You can use a bottle or container to store your creation. You may find a container is a better option than a bottle since some oils solidify or partially alter when refrigerated.
- If using a bottle, you can leave it at room temperature for it to return to liquid form. If you're in a hurry, place the bottle underneath running hot tap water to dissolve just enough for your treatment.
Possible Neem Side Effects
Always check with your doctor or other healthcare practitioner before using any treatment. Neem oil can be toxic to some people. Children should never be given neem oil. A case report from Pramukhswami Medical College in India pointed out several possible side effects from ingesting or topical applications of neem oil. Toxicity symptoms include, vomiting, seizures, metabolic acidosis, or toxic encphalopathy. In the journal Dermatitis, health professionals in the Netherlands also published a case report of allergic contact dermatitis from topical neem oil.
Curing Skin Yeast Infection
Yeast or fungal infections can occur in any moist area on the body. The success in treating them depends on diet and treatment. Some will take longer than others, and some may reoccur. If you take an OTC homeopathic remedy, and the symptoms last after 10 doses, make sure you consult a homeopath. As with all alternative remedies, discuss homeopathy with your doctor before treating yourself.