Nurture and pamper your skin with a luxurious lavender lotion or bath salt. Lavender not only has a rich, relaxing fragrance, it also has deeply-soothing, healing properties that are great for your skin. You can make your own lavender lotion or bath salts with a few inexpensive ingredients, or you can purchase high-quality lavender products.
Making Your Own Lavender Beauty Products
Lavender Lotion Recipe
This recipe for a homemade lavender lotion uses ingredients that are both nurturing and relaxing.
- Lavender oil relieves stress and helps ease mild depression, anxiety and insomnia.
- Almond oil relieves tired, aching muscles, while promoting your skin's elasticity.
- Vitamin E serves as an antioxidant, protecting your skin all day. It also prolongs your lotion's shelf-life. Glycerin is a fast-absorbing skin moisturizer.
- 1 cup sweet almond oil
- 1 cup distilled water
- 2 tablespoons liquid lecithin
- Kitchen blender
- 15 drops of lavender essential oil
- 10 drops of Vanilla essential oil
- 4 - 400 IE Vitamin E capsules
- 1 clean bottle with a lid
- Pour the liquid lecithin, sweet almond oil and distilled water into your blender. These ingredients form the base for your lotion.
- Add the lavender and vanilla essential oils to the mixture.
- Squeeze out the oil from the Vitamin E capsules into the blender.
- Set the blender to its "whip" or "cream" setting, depending on your brand, and blend the ingredients until they are mixed thoroughly.
- Pour your body lotion into the clean bottle and twist the lid on tightly.
- Store your homemade lavender lotion in a cool area to extend its shelf life. Give it a thorough shake to re-mix the ingredients before you use it.
Lavender Bath Salts Recipe
Pamper your body, mind, and even your soul with your very own homemade lavender bath salts. This recipe combines lavender's soothing aromatherapy with the relaxing mineral essences of Epsom salt to create a bath salt that is sure to provide a tranquil, luxurious bathing experience right in your own home.
You can use your choice of Epsom salt, sea salt or dead sea salt, depending on your preference or desired result.
- Epsom salt is definitely the most affordable and readily available all the different salts. It is also proven to ease tense muscles and sore joints.
- Sea salt has many popular uses, and is thus readily available. It is the next least expensive salt after Epsom. Sea salt is very rich in minerals, and reportedly helps draw toxins from the skin, while soothing tired, sore muscles.
- Dead Sea salts have an even higher mineral content than sea salts. They also help relieve sore, aching muscles, as well as the stiffness of over-exertion . Dead Sea salts also help relieve skin-related conditions such as eczema, psoriasis and acne.
- 4 ounces baking soda
- 1 pound Epsom salt or sea salt
- 3 to 4 teaspoons lavender essential oil
- 1/4 cup glycerin
- 1/4 cup of dried lavender
- Seeds of 1 vanilla bean or 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Red and blue food coloring (Optional)
- Clean decorative jar
- Place the baking soda and the Epsom salt in a clean bowl.
- Add the lavender oil, glycerin, dried petals and vanilla bean seeds or extract. Mix all the ingredients thoroughly.
- Add the food coloring a few drops at a time, until you get the desired shade of lavender color. You can achieve a truer shade of lavender by adding more drops of the red food coloring than the Blue coloring.
- Pour your bathing salt into a decorative jar and cap it tightly.
- To use your bath salts, run a hot bath and add two to three tablespoons of the salt to the bath.
Where to Buy Lavender Beauty Products
You may prefer to buy lavender lotion or bath salt instead of making your own. Many products are made with organic lavender flowers and pure essential oils. The following products may suit your needs.
- Dr. Bronner's Lavender Coconut Organic Lotion: This rich lotion pairs the skin nourishing properties of lavender and coconut with moisturizing jojoba oil to create a product perfect for healing dry skin. This lotion is USDA certified organic and costs about $10.00 for an eight ounce bottle.
- L'Occitane Lavender Moisturizing Hand Lotion: Your hands work hard, and this is often reflected by their condition in the form of cracked, dry skin. This lotion infuses the relaxing scent of lavender with honey and shea butter to help moisturize and soften hands. A 10-ounce bottle costs about $20.00.
- Crabtree & Evelyn Lavender Body Lotion: This body lotion combines lavender oil with several nourishing ingredients such as shea butter, coconut oil, evening primrose oil, and almond oil. The result is a super hydrating lotion that helps calm dry, irritated skin. An 8.28 bottle costs approximately $24.00.
Lavender Bath Salt
- Lavender Love Lavender Bath Salts: Lavender essential oil mingles with skin calming sea salts and vegetable glycerin to soften and moisturize skin. An 8-ounce jar runs about $6.50.
- Dr. Teal's Epsom Salt Soaking Solution: Epsom salts and lavender oil are the only ingredients in this inexpensive yet soothing salt soak. The Epsom salts are great for soothing sore muscles and the soothing scent of lavender helps promote relaxation and overall well-being. A 48-ounce bag costs less than $5.00.
- Bokek Lavender Bath Salt: This products unites 100-percent Dead Sea salt with lavender essential oil to help relieve stress and relax the body, leading to more restful sleep. A 2.2-pound pouch costs just under $10.00.
Feel Pampered with Lavender
Lavender is loved around the world for its calming scent and healing abilities. Whether you prefer to make your own lavender bath salts and lotions or purchase them, using nourishing lavender products is a great way to treat yourself or someone you care about to some well-deserved, relaxing moments.