Why would you ever put olive oil drops in the ear? Olive oil ear drops are a natural remedy for a number of ear ailments. Placing a few olive oil drops in the ear can be a safe and natural way to treat ear conditions.
Treating Ear Problems With Olive Oil Drops
This simple, home remedy can help you to treat a number of ear conditions. Using olive oil drops in the ear can be a gentle and effective way to deal with a variety of ear conditions.
Treating Ear Pain
One use for olive oil ear drops is to treat ear pain. When using olive oil to treat ear pain, you can use olive oil by itself or use it as a carrier oil for other essential oils, such as lavender oil, which has been known to soothe ear pain. This is an especially common folk remedy for treating babies and young children who are suffering from ear pain.
Earaches generally are the result of inflammation in the ear. Inflammation doesn't necessarily have to be related to infection. Other things can cause inflammation as well, such as irritation, trapped water, injury and more. When inflammation is present, it causes pain, heat, swelling and redness. Olive oil - either alone or in combination with other natural ingredients - can be used to reduce ear pain quickly, gently and effectively.
To use olive oil to treat ear pain, try one of the following remedies.
- Place a few drops of gently warmed olive oil into the affected ear. Follow up with a warm compress.
- Mix five drops of lavender oil with a tablespoon of olive oil and gently warm the oil. For babies, dip a cotton ball into the olive oil/lavender oil and rub around the outside of the ear. Older children and adults can have a few drops of the oil solution dripped in the affected ear, followed by a warm compress.
- In a small saucepan, warm olive oil and grated onions. Place a few drops of the gently warmed solution into the affected ear. Follow the treatment up with a warm compress.
- Cook five cloves of garlic with three tablespoons of garlic. Cool the oil, strain out the garlic pieces and place a few drops of the oil in the affected ear.
Olive oil can also be used to help prevent the build up of earwax. Wax in and of itself isn't a bad thing. It protects the inner ear and protects ear skin from moisture. It builds up naturally in the human ears; however, some people build up earwax quickly while others hardly ever accumulate much wax in their ears. Not only that, but there are a few different types of earwax which are genetically predetermined - wet earwax and dry earwax. Genetics also determines the thickness and consistency of the wax. In some cases, wax build up can become excessive. Excessive earwax can lead to impaction, which can result in hearing loss, trapped bacteria, a feeling of fullness in the ears, itchy ears, and even hearing aid malfunction. To remove or reduce earwax using olive oil, heat some olive oil to warm (not hot) in a small saucepan. Lie on your side with the affected ear up and have someone drip three or four drops of olive oil in the ear. Continue lying on your side for a few minutes, allowing the oil to melt the earwax. Next, tilt your head to the side with the affected ear down, and allow the oil to run out naturally onto a towel. Follow up by irrigating the ear with clean water or an ear rinse solution.
Treating Ear Infections
Ear infections are common in children. They can be painful for the child. Olive oil can help to treat minor infections of the outer ear. To treat an outer ear infection using olive oil, gently warm the oil (make it warm, not hot) and then place a few drops of the warmed oil into the ear followed by a warm compress. For more serious ear infections, inner ear infections or ear infections involving fever, contact your doctor.
Caveats and Cautions
While olive oil is generally safe, always observe the following precautions:
- Never use olive oil in a ruptured eardrum or in an eardrum that you suspect has ruptured.
- Carefully check the temperature of the oil before putting it in the ear. Oil should be warm, but not hot.
- If you suspect an inner ear infection, or if symptoms persist or worsen, contact your personal health care provider.
Olive Oil Is a Safe and Effective Remedy for Ear Pain
Olive oil drops can be used safely and effectively to treat ear pain, infection and earwax. It is a gentle, inexpensive treatment that could help to make your next ear ache much more bearable.